Lingerdog's World

My blog focusing mostly on my creative writing endeavors, but also with updates on my life and how I am serving God.

Well, this is my first blog posting, I'm going to be writing a story, who knows how large it will ultimately be, but this is the first installment, call it the introduction if you will. Check it out, let me know what you think.

Sometimes my life feels like a Taylor Swift song. What do I mean, well I’m the nice quiet girl who really understands the guy who is with the wrong girl. The guy is Luke, he’s everything I’ve ever wanted, for as long as I can remember I’ve known he should be mine, but he’s with Jasmine. It’s hard because they are both my friends. Neither of them knows of my feelings.

I have lived my life in isolation from most people, the truth is they just don’t get people like me. The ones that know me, know I’m not all that different, but most people just turn their heads or avert their eyes thinking, there goes that girl.

My friend Spence is the only person that knows of my feelings for Luke. Spence is my soulmate.

I don’t mean that how most people do, I don’t love him, and he doesn’t love me, I mean that we are destined to be together, tied together as tightly as any man and wife, sharing our thoughts, dreams and emotions. We live through our struggles supporting each other when necessary.

We are here for each other like brother and sister, but closer to the bond of husband and wife, but without the romantic feelings that come with that bond.

I would never act on my feelings for Luke, he loves Jasmine, even though she is not right for him. Seriously he likes sports, he likes hunting, she’s too much of a girly girl. I hope that doesn’t offend anyone, it’s just that she isn’t going to get dirty, and she doesn’t do insects.

I’m at home in the forest. I love to lie down in a meadow near our house at night and just watch the stars as they swirl across the night sky. But none of it matters to Luke right now.

I remember the first time I saw Luke. I was three and as I stood in my crib in the nursery, there he stood in his crib across the room from me. When he met my eyes, he smiled at me. I laughed loudly at this although I can’t for the life of me remember why now. He seemed confused by my reaction so I smiled back at him.

We were buddies from that day forward. My mother tells me that we were inseparable, on the playground, at school, at home. We were always together.

Until the day I turned 13 that is.

We have a ceremony at the age of thirteen to mark our entrance into adulthood. Luke had gone through his a few weeks before. It’s very similar to a birthday party with a few eccentricities thrown in.

Me and mother had gone shopping for a special dress for the occasion, and we had found a perfect one.

It was pale blue, made of satin with a pink silk ribbon tied about the waist. It went all the way to the floor, as was our custom. The sleeves were just below the elbow.

I waited all morning for Luke to show up, but when he did, my world began to fall apart. Jasmine was on his arm, every stunning inch of her lithe body. Her golden hair falling to a spot between her shoulder blades. Her eyes a crystalline blue I have seen nowhere else in nature. Her skin looked as if it had never been kissed by the sun.

I knew the battle for Luke’s heart had already been lost to me, there was no way for me to compete with her.

My hair was short and black, cut by my mother who insisted there was no reason to spend money on it in town when she could just do it herself. My eyes are brown, hid in slits in my face that hardly open to allow in the light of the world. My skin was nothing to write home about.

I wanted to attack her, rip her hair out and throw her to the ground and out of my home.

I calmed down by reminding myself that this wasn’t some junior high melodrama, this was real life, and mother had spent most of our savings on this dress for me. What kind of daughter would I be if I destroyed it before the ceremony?

I collected my thoughts, then smiled and waved at them before going to the preparation room for the ceremony.

There is no name for the ceremony anymore, at one time they had a name for it, but as our people learned to speak English and the old languages were forgotten the pronunciation of the name for the ceremony was forgotten as well.

There are many reasons for doing the ceremony to this day, but the one most talked about is for our introduction into adulthood.

I stood in the preparation room as the hand maidens placed my veil upon my head, and readied myself for what was to come.

Murmuring arose from outside, it was time.

The double doors opened before me, torches set into the walls around the inner circle lit the ground.

I stepped forward, walking to the center of the circle, about thirty feet all together from one side to the other, where a marble table awaited me.

Hoods were removed from those in attendance, that they might see and judge my attainment of adulthood.

A horn blew loudly as behind me the door was locked I had come in. Ahead of me another door was swung open as the horn blew again.

Two hooded figures led in a boy, he appeared to be my age, or maybe a little younger. The boy was crying, but that wasn’t any of my concern at this moment. The two hooded figures placed the boy on the table before me, strapping his arms down.

The boy began to wrench his body about and scream for help, kicking his legs in frantic fashion. It saddened me to see him so worked up, his screams bit through to my core. I scanned the crowd. No one was smiling at this, it was just something that had to be done.

I leaned down to him and whispered, “You can calm down, you don’t have to scream so much.”

“Yes I do,” he spat at me, “you people are going to kill me.” He began to scream again.

“Shhh, I assure you we have no intention of killing you,” I whispered.

“Then why am I tied up?”

“It’s just part of the process, it’ll all be over in a second and you won’t feel a thing.”

“Do you promise?”

He seemed to be calming, he had stopped kicking his legs finally, but there was still so much fear in his eyes. “Yes, I promise,” I lied to him.

He seemed to relax, so I leaned down over him. “I need to reach way over to unhook you, can you stay still while I do that,” I asked him.

“Yes,” he whispered back, grateful that he was about to be set free.

I stretched my arm out over him to the clasp, in doing so my veil slid across his face and my head was above his. “Hold still for one more second, I’ve almost got it,” I said as I leaned my head down closer to him, reaching for the clasp.

“What’s your name,” I asked him.

“Spencer.”

“That’s a nice name, but do you mind if I call you Spence?”

He seemed to be thinking about it for a minute before he answered, “Sure, I guess its okay.”

“That’s good,” I smiled at him.

“You have a pretty smile,” he said.

“Thanks,” I said just as my hand found the clasp. I ripped it back releasing him from his bondage, but at once bringing my arm around his back and burying my face into his neck. Biting down, I felt his skin give way beneath my teeth, the hot flow of blood as it poured into my mouth.

He jerked in my arms as he realized what I had done. I tightened my grip as he struggled to stand, trying to beat me off of him with his fist.

I sucked harder on his neck as the blood pumped. He struggled to run for the door as I dig my heels in flipping him back over my body and following him to the ground.

He gasped as he hit and struggled no more. I opened my mouth to let the blood flow in more quickly.

After a few minutes, it was over. I stood and scanned the crowd, they were all talking amongst themselves and nodding. I looked down at myself. Blood covered my chest and my gown had been ripped down the side.

I gasped for air, but felt so alive, maybe felt it for the first time in my life. I was an adult now, never again could I be the child I had been moments before.

I ran my tongue over my blood soaked teeth, felt the two new protrusions from the upper gum line. I looked up at the crowd and smiled my crimson lips at them.

I’m a vampire, my name is Abigail.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Lingerdog's World

A Blog Dedicated to the ins and outs of my life, with occasional trips into creative writing.

Search This Blog

Followers

About Me

My photo
I love writing and am rediscovering that passion. I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and want to tell as many people as I can about him and what he has done for me.